Cookery can be a great stress reliever, so with more time on your hands why not give it a go? You might have an interesting recipe you would like to share? It could be your granny’s family traditional fruit cake recipe or even your own accidentally created mix, that doesn’t taste too bad?
It would be great for you to share your ideas with us, to be published on this site. Please submit your recipes to email@example.com
Here is this week’s “healthy choice” suggestion to get you started.
Tasty Jollof Rice
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 2 large yellow onions, roughly chopped
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil (80 ml)
- 2 additional tablespoons of oil (for the onion puree)
- 14 oz diced tomato (395 g)
- 6 oz tomato paste (170 g)
- 1 habanero pepper
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon mixed dried herbs
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes, crushed
- 2 ½ cups long grain rice (500 g), rinsed
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables (150 g)
- 1 ½ cups of water (360 ml)
1. Add onions and 2 tablespoons of oil to a blender and pulse until smooth. Transfer to a medium bowl.
2. Add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and habanero pepper to the blender, and pulse until smooth. Transfer to a separate medium bowl.
3. Heat the remaining ⅓ cup (80 ml) of oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat.
4. Once the oil is simmering, add the onion puree and cook until the puree is starting to brown, (about 10 minutes).
5. Stir in the tomato puree and add the curry powder, garlic powder, ginger, dried herbs, and crushed bouillon cubes. Cook for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the stew has reduced by half and is deep red in colour.
6. Add the rice, mixed vegetables, and water. Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to low and cover the pot with foil and a lid. Simmer for another 30 minutes, until the rice has cooked through and the liquid is absorbed.
- 475 g Vanilla ice cream
- 140 ml milk
- 8 Oreo biscuits
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- Whipped cream for serving (optional)
1. Add the ice cream, milk and Oreo cookies to your blender.
2. Pulse until mostly smooth.
3. Serve in large glasses with whipped cream if desired.
Becka’s Bueno Chocolate Cheesecake
- 300g Digestive biscuits
- 150g Unsalted butter/stork (melted)
- 500g Full fat cream cheese
- 100g Icing sugar
- 300ml Double cream
- 50g Kinder chocolate
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 13 Individual Kinder Bueno Bars (chopped)
- 150ml Double cream
- 2 tbsp Icing sugar
- 3 Individual Kinder Bueno Bars (chopped)
- 50g Chocolate (melted)
To make the Cheesecake Base
1. Crush the digestive biscuits.
2. Melt the butter and add the digestives, mix well
3. (Optional) if you would like Bueno in your base, then crush two sticks and add to the melted butter and digestive mix
4. Put the biscuit base it in an 8 inch cake tin and spread evenly.
5. Put the biscuit base in the fridge and let it set while you make your cheesecake filling.
To make your cheesecake filling
• Put cream cheese in a bowl.
• Add the icing sugar to the bowl and mix together untill creamy.
• Add the vanilla extract and mix.
• Melt the Kinder chocolate bars, then add the Buenos. Add the chocolate to the cream cheese and icing sugar and mix well.
• Add the double cream and mix until fluffy
• Pour in the cheesecake filling onto the biscuit base ensuring it is spread evenly.
• Refrigerate for 6hrs before serving.
Decorate your cake with any leftover chocolate and/or whipped cream and ENJOY!
Banana Pancakes are a great way of using those bananas that may be turning brown in your fruit bowl.
- 1 x ripe banana
- 1 x egg
- 1 up of porridge oats
- Oil/butter for frying
This one is easy, put all the ingredients together in a blender and give it a whiz. That’s it! The consistency should be similar to porridge, if it is too stiff, add a little milk, if it is too thin, add few more oats.
Shallow fry a large spoonful in the oil or butter of your choice.